Arizona State not looking ahead to crucial showdown at UCLA
Win out, and the Devils will make their first-ever appearance in the Pac-12 Championship Game. The South could very well be determined by ASU's game in Pasadena against UCLA Nov. 23.
But there's one game before that highly-anticipated matchup. The Oregon State Beavers (6-3, 4-2) visit Sun Devil Stadium -- a site where they're 1-17 in their last 18 trips.
Although the importance of next week's game very evident to anyone who can read the conference standings, ASU head coach Todd Graham isn't concerned that his team is looking ahead to their game against the Bruins.
"We've got to be ready to play, period," Graham told Doug and Wolf Friday morning on Arizona Sports 620. "You want to be a champion, you can't do stuff like that. That's what average teams are that go to bowl games, they do stuff like that. A championship team has to bring it every single week."
For the most part, ASU has done that in conference play. After losing at Stanford to open up Pac-12 play, the 19th-ranked Sun Devils have reeled off five straight conference wins by an average margin of 23.2 points.
"There's not been a conference game that we haven't brought it. We have had one game in this conference where we played poorly and I really think it wasn't to do with our guys not being ready to play, it was a debacle in the special teams," Graham said. "Since the Stanford game, our guys have played every week. Played pretty hard, been prepared. Even the Notre Dame game is a game that we feel like that we lost that we should have won, and beat ourselves."
Granted, not looking ahead to UCLA is made easier by the fact that Oregon State is a good football team. The Beavers, coached by Mike Riley, feature the top passing combination in the country with quarterback Sean Mannion throwing to dynamic wideout Brandin Cooks. The duo
"Our guys know what they're going up against," Graham said. "We've got the number one quarterback in the country coming in here in passing. We've got the number one receiver, our guys know the challenge ahead of them. They're not looking past anybody and that won't be the excuse.
"The bottom line is you've got to go out there and win this game and the margin for error is very small."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.