ASU's Graham on winning streak: 'We've not done anything'
The No. 19 Sun Devils' next three games won't be easy, however, highlighted by a trip to UCLA which will likely determine who represents the Pac-12 in the conference championship game. In order for ASU to reach its fourth game, head coach Todd Graham said the players can't rest on their laurels.
"Because you have a tendency, when you're experiencing success, everyone's patting you on the back and you think you've done it," Graham said at his Monday press conference. "We've not done anything. Win the next four games, then we've done something."
Graham also reiterated his teaching philosophy, and added that for this final stretch, preparation will be crucial.
"You have to be improving every day," Graham said. "And some days we've just improved by that much, but I think we've improved every day and gotten better."
Graham believes his team is hitting its stride right now, seeing as it took down Washington in resounding fashion and overcame road woes to win at Washington State and Utah. He noted that the Sun Devils have to keep the momentum going and work even harder to have continued success.
"Our meetings have to be different," Graham added. "Our practices have to be different. I'm talking about better than what we've done."
One issue Graham addressed was maintaining discipline, pointing to complaining to officials about penalty calls and reacting emotionally, two things he doesn't like to see in his program. Arizona State ranks sixth nationally in penalties committed per game, and Graham is intent on keeping the team near the best in that category.
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.