Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 8:19 pm
Steve Patterson's statement on leaving ASU for Texas job
Patterson, who was named the AD at ASU in March 2012, released the following statement regarding his decision to leave the school:
"I am extremely proud of what we've been able to accomplish during my years at ASU. We graduated our student-athletes at a record rate, we grew our business, we reconnected with the community and we continued our success in each of our 22 sports. At the end of the day, I decided to take the Athletics Director's position at my alma mater because it is an opportunity I just couldn't pass up. I look forward to continuing to build upon the great work of DeLoss Dodds. I spent nearly 9 years as an Austin resident and student at The University of Texas. My family has lived in Texas for over 40 years. I have many ties that run deep there with business associates, friends and family, including my 92-year old mother, my brother and members of my wife's family. We are all excited to have the opportunity to come home.
"While I'm very excited about the opportunity at Texas, at the same time, I'm disappointed that I won't be at ASU to see all of the great projects that started during my tenure come to fruition. Dr. Crow has given Sun Devil Athletics every resource we needed to be successful. He has consistently supported me and my family in Tempe and I know he will continue to support Sun Devil Athletics in the years to come. I am leaving behind a very talented staff and I'm working with Dr. Crow to develop a transition plan that will assure that Sun Devil Athletics doesn't miss a beat in my absence.
"I appreciate everything the ASU community has done to make my family and I feel welcome here in the valley."
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.