Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 8:19 pm
Steve Patterson's statement on leaving ASU for Texas job
Patterson, who was named the AD at ASU in March 2012, released the following statement regarding his decision to leave the school:
"I am extremely proud of what we've been able to accomplish during my years at ASU. We graduated our student-athletes at a record rate, we grew our business, we reconnected with the community and we continued our success in each of our 22 sports. At the end of the day, I decided to take the Athletics Director's position at my alma mater because it is an opportunity I just couldn't pass up. I look forward to continuing to build upon the great work of DeLoss Dodds. I spent nearly 9 years as an Austin resident and student at The University of Texas. My family has lived in Texas for over 40 years. I have many ties that run deep there with business associates, friends and family, including my 92-year old mother, my brother and members of my wife's family. We are all excited to have the opportunity to come home.
"While I'm very excited about the opportunity at Texas, at the same time, I'm disappointed that I won't be at ASU to see all of the great projects that started during my tenure come to fruition. Dr. Crow has given Sun Devil Athletics every resource we needed to be successful. He has consistently supported me and my family in Tempe and I know he will continue to support Sun Devil Athletics in the years to come. I am leaving behind a very talented staff and I'm working with Dr. Crow to develop a transition plan that will assure that Sun Devil Athletics doesn't miss a beat in my absence.
"I appreciate everything the ASU community has done to make my family and I feel welcome here in the valley."
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.