ESPN analyst Mark May: Steve Patterson 'outkicked his coverage' landing Texas AD job
While Patterson, who was hired by ASU in March 2012, has a breadth of experience in professional sports -- served as the team president and general manager of the Portland Trail Blazers, Senior VP of the Houston Texans and team president and general manager of the Houston Rockets -- ESPN's Mark May expressed concern about why a tradition-laden school like Texas would take a chance on a candidate with limited success as a collegiate athletic director.
"He has outkicked his coverage," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burn & Gambo Tuesday. "I think he's in the deep end now. I probably would have gone a different route. I probably would have gone with an athletic director that's presided over a school that's won a championship and that's made a lot of money or that's in a major conference and competes all the time in multiple sports.
"I probably would have gone after Joe Castiglione at Oklahoma, because he's in your conference. He knows your area and he's done a terrific there with a lot smaller budget. Maybe Jeff Long of Arkansas in the immediate area. That's the direction I would have gone. But heck I don't make those decisions. That's why I don't get paid those big bucks."
Although Patterson reportedly beat out West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck for the job, May's not convinced that the 55-year-old's connection to the school -- received his law degree from UT -- provides enough merit to warrant the hire.
"Tell me what championships he's presided over here at this school," said May. "Tell me how he's elevated this school to be a lot better than they've been athletically since he's been here."
The Sun Devils didn't claim a National Championship during Patterson's year-plus tenure in Tempe, but the former ASU AD was responsible for hiring football coach Todd Graham, moving the baseball team's games to Phoenix Municipal Stadium and overseeing the upcoming renovation project at Sun Devil Stadium.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.