ESPN analyst Mark May: Steve Patterson 'outkicked his coverage' landing Texas AD job
While Patterson, who was hired by ASU in March 2012, has a breadth of experience in professional sports -- served as the team president and general manager of the Portland Trail Blazers, Senior VP of the Houston Texans and team president and general manager of the Houston Rockets -- ESPN's Mark May expressed concern about why a tradition-laden school like Texas would take a chance on a candidate with limited success as a collegiate athletic director.
"He has outkicked his coverage," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burn & Gambo Tuesday. "I think he's in the deep end now. I probably would have gone a different route. I probably would have gone with an athletic director that's presided over a school that's won a championship and that's made a lot of money or that's in a major conference and competes all the time in multiple sports.
"I probably would have gone after Joe Castiglione at Oklahoma, because he's in your conference. He knows your area and he's done a terrific there with a lot smaller budget. Maybe Jeff Long of Arkansas in the immediate area. That's the direction I would have gone. But heck I don't make those decisions. That's why I don't get paid those big bucks."
Although Patterson reportedly beat out West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck for the job, May's not convinced that the 55-year-old's connection to the school -- received his law degree from UT -- provides enough merit to warrant the hire.
"Tell me what championships he's presided over here at this school," said May. "Tell me how he's elevated this school to be a lot better than they've been athletically since he's been here."
The Sun Devils didn't claim a National Championship during Patterson's year-plus tenure in Tempe, but the former ASU AD was responsible for hiring football coach Todd Graham, moving the baseball team's games to Phoenix Municipal Stadium and overseeing the upcoming renovation project at Sun Devil Stadium.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.