Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 10:05 am
Report: ASU's Steve Patterson is the favorite for Texas AD job
That's the question surrounding Arizona State vice president of athletics Steve Patterson.
The University of Texas is looking for a new athletic director to take over for the retiring DeLoss Dodds, and according to Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com, Patterson, along with West Virginia AD Oliver Luck, is a finalist for the job.
Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated took that a step further Tuesday morning when he reported that Patterson is the favorite for the job.
Patterson and West Virginia AD Oliver Luck are the final two candidates for the Longhorns job, the official said. Luck has been the reported favorite for weeks, but the official said that Patterson may have an edge because of his "marketing experience" and "business experience."
Patterson earned both an undergraduate degree and a law degree from UT, while Luck also holds a Texas law degree. Writes Brown:
Patterson made a strong impression during a weekend interview with the UT advisory committee assisting in the AD search.
There were reports last week that Patterson had turned down an informal offer from Texas for the position, but the AD himself declined to verify that report in an interview with Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620.
"I'm not confirming any report," he said Thursday. "I'm focused on the job I've got right here today."
According to Brown, both candidates have strong attributes that are attractive to the UT search committee.
Those who know both Luck and Patterson say Luck has the more engaging personality for schmoozing with boosters. While they say Patterson has a more cerebral, no-nonsense approach that also appealed to committee members.
Brown also reported a decision on UT's hire could come in the next week.
- Report: Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.