Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 10:05 am
Report: ASU's Steve Patterson is the favorite for Texas AD job
That's the question surrounding Arizona State vice president of athletics Steve Patterson.
The University of Texas is looking for a new athletic director to take over for the retiring DeLoss Dodds, and according to Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com, Patterson, along with West Virginia AD Oliver Luck, is a finalist for the job.
Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated took that a step further Tuesday morning when he reported that Patterson is the favorite for the job.
Patterson and West Virginia AD Oliver Luck are the final two candidates for the Longhorns job, the official said. Luck has been the reported favorite for weeks, but the official said that Patterson may have an edge because of his "marketing experience" and "business experience."
Patterson earned both an undergraduate degree and a law degree from UT, while Luck also holds a Texas law degree. Writes Brown:
Patterson made a strong impression during a weekend interview with the UT advisory committee assisting in the AD search.
There were reports last week that Patterson had turned down an informal offer from Texas for the position, but the AD himself declined to verify that report in an interview with Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620.
"I'm not confirming any report," he said Thursday. "I'm focused on the job I've got right here today."
According to Brown, both candidates have strong attributes that are attractive to the UT search committee.
Those who know both Luck and Patterson say Luck has the more engaging personality for schmoozing with boosters. While they say Patterson has a more cerebral, no-nonsense approach that also appealed to committee members.
Brown also reported a decision on UT's hire could come in the next week.
- Stagnant or statement
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.