Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 10:05 am
Report: ASU's Steve Patterson is the favorite for Texas AD job
That's the question surrounding Arizona State vice president of athletics Steve Patterson.
The University of Texas is looking for a new athletic director to take over for the retiring DeLoss Dodds, and according to Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com, Patterson, along with West Virginia AD Oliver Luck, is a finalist for the job.
Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated took that a step further Tuesday morning when he reported that Patterson is the favorite for the job.
Patterson and West Virginia AD Oliver Luck are the final two candidates for the Longhorns job, the official said. Luck has been the reported favorite for weeks, but the official said that Patterson may have an edge because of his "marketing experience" and "business experience."
Patterson earned both an undergraduate degree and a law degree from UT, while Luck also holds a Texas law degree. Writes Brown:
Patterson made a strong impression during a weekend interview with the UT advisory committee assisting in the AD search.
There were reports last week that Patterson had turned down an informal offer from Texas for the position, but the AD himself declined to verify that report in an interview with Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620.
"I'm not confirming any report," he said Thursday. "I'm focused on the job I've got right here today."
According to Brown, both candidates have strong attributes that are attractive to the UT search committee.
Those who know both Luck and Patterson say Luck has the more engaging personality for schmoozing with boosters. While they say Patterson has a more cerebral, no-nonsense approach that also appealed to committee members.
Brown also reported a decision on UT's hire could come in the next week.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.