Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 10:05 am
Report: ASU's Steve Patterson is the favorite for Texas AD job
That's the question surrounding Arizona State vice president of athletics Steve Patterson.
The University of Texas is looking for a new athletic director to take over for the retiring DeLoss Dodds, and according to Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com, Patterson, along with West Virginia AD Oliver Luck, is a finalist for the job.
Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated took that a step further Tuesday morning when he reported that Patterson is the favorite for the job.
Patterson and West Virginia AD Oliver Luck are the final two candidates for the Longhorns job, the official said. Luck has been the reported favorite for weeks, but the official said that Patterson may have an edge because of his "marketing experience" and "business experience."
Patterson earned both an undergraduate degree and a law degree from UT, while Luck also holds a Texas law degree. Writes Brown:
Patterson made a strong impression during a weekend interview with the UT advisory committee assisting in the AD search.
There were reports last week that Patterson had turned down an informal offer from Texas for the position, but the AD himself declined to verify that report in an interview with Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620.
"I'm not confirming any report," he said Thursday. "I'm focused on the job I've got right here today."
According to Brown, both candidates have strong attributes that are attractive to the UT search committee.
Those who know both Luck and Patterson say Luck has the more engaging personality for schmoozing with boosters. While they say Patterson has a more cerebral, no-nonsense approach that also appealed to committee members.
Brown also reported a decision on UT's hire could come in the next week.
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.