ASU's Graham: Quarterback Taylor Kelly is 'a great student of the game'
While Kelly's stats are great, what impresses head coach Todd Graham the most about his quarterback is his intangibles.
"He really is a great student of the game," Graham said Monday. "I think he has as good of a grasp as even maybe some of our coaches have. He has that kind of intelligence. He's a very selfless person, so he will listen."
Graham said he spends a lot of time talking to Kelly during practice, though not about his execution; offensive coordinator Mike Norvell doesn't let Graham get involved with that aspect of Kelly's game. Instead, Graham said he preps Kelly on how defenses will play against him and informs him on what he does well.
Graham also praised Kelly for his leadership and willingness to learn.
"Every so often, he makes a mistake or two, and down the stretch we have to make sure we minimize those, but he learns from them," Graham said. "(He's a) very humble guy. Genuine too. I mean he's genuine and I think our team really follows him, and he's a great leader. The intangibles are so much more important."
Though Graham is known for being a defensive-minded coach, he admitted how important a quarterback is to the team's success.
"To win a championship, you have to have a quarterback," Graham said. "I used to not say that, you say, 'One person doesn't matter that much.' Yes they do. You have to have a quarterback, period. If you don't have one, then it's pretty tough to win a championship."
Graham said he's happy to have Kelly at the helm, and believes the redshirt junior will only improve going forward.
"He utilizes the components that he has and doesn't try to do too much," Graham said. "He's gotten better every single week."
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.