ASU's Graham: Quarterback Taylor Kelly is 'a great student of the game'
While Kelly's stats are great, what impresses head coach Todd Graham the most about his quarterback is his intangibles.
"He really is a great student of the game," Graham said Monday. "I think he has as good of a grasp as even maybe some of our coaches have. He has that kind of intelligence. He's a very selfless person, so he will listen."
Graham said he spends a lot of time talking to Kelly during practice, though not about his execution; offensive coordinator Mike Norvell doesn't let Graham get involved with that aspect of Kelly's game. Instead, Graham said he preps Kelly on how defenses will play against him and informs him on what he does well.
Graham also praised Kelly for his leadership and willingness to learn.
"Every so often, he makes a mistake or two, and down the stretch we have to make sure we minimize those, but he learns from them," Graham said. "(He's a) very humble guy. Genuine too. I mean he's genuine and I think our team really follows him, and he's a great leader. The intangibles are so much more important."
Though Graham is known for being a defensive-minded coach, he admitted how important a quarterback is to the team's success.
"To win a championship, you have to have a quarterback," Graham said. "I used to not say that, you say, 'One person doesn't matter that much.' Yes they do. You have to have a quarterback, period. If you don't have one, then it's pretty tough to win a championship."
Graham said he's happy to have Kelly at the helm, and believes the redshirt junior will only improve going forward.
"He utilizes the components that he has and doesn't try to do too much," Graham said. "He's gotten better every single week."
- Sun Devils OC Mike Norvell: School's commitment helps recruiting
- ASU deputy coach and OC Mike Norvell: 'I'm excited about being part' of program's rise
- Forbes: Texas most valuable college football team
- ASU promotes Mike Norvell to role of deputy head coach
- FANTASY GRIND: Jamaal Charles, 2013 fantasy MVP
- Rocky Harris, ASU Senior Associate AD - Thursday December 19Talking about Mike Norvell's promotion and the state of ASU athletics.
- Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach - Thursday December 19Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach talks about his new title.
- Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach - Wednesday December 18Norvell talks about his promotion to Deputy Head Coach
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday December 17State of the program and previewing Texas Tech
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?