Updated Nov 4, 2013 - 3:14 pm
Arizona State's Zane Gonzalez semifinalist for Lou Groza Award
The award, which is presented by the Orange Bowl Committee, is given to the nation's top placekicker each year. Gonzalez, a true freshman, leads all FBS kickers with 11.6 points per game and has made 13 straight field goals dating back to the Sun Devils' game against USC on Sept. 28.
Gonzalez is the fourth Sun Devil to be named a semifinalist for the Groza Award, the first since Thomas Weber won it in 2007. He's made 85 percent of his field goal attempts and is 42-of-43 on extra point attempts. Against Washington, Gonzalez tied the ASU record for most field goals in a game, converting all four of his attempts in the win.
Gonzalez's 17 made field goals already place him 10th in Sun Devil history, 11 behind Luis Zendejas' record of 28 set in 1983.
The three finalists will be announced on Nov. 25 and the winner of the award will be announced on Dec. 12 on ESPN at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.