Updated Oct 21, 2013 - 1:46 pm
A program coming of age?
It's easy to get a team's attention and prepare them when they know their opponent is capable of whipping them.
It's easy to watch film of the Huskies and see the raw physicality they possess on both sides of the ball. Film work like that makes a kid respect his opponent, gets his attention, focuses his passions and helps him muster the urgency required to play well.
But how do you play when the other team possesses little threat to you? How do you play when the film tells you your opponent does not possess the talent and skill that is your equal? Do you have the maturity as a player to summon your passions and play desperate football when you feel like you're playing 1-on-1 against your little brother in the driveway?
And that's where coaching at the college level is paramount. So much of what a head coach does to prepare his team mentally impacts the outcome on Saturdays. The head man (and his staff) needs to be motivator, teacher and psychologist, pushing the appropriate buttons to make sure his team is ready for the task at hand -- whatever kind of threat that task may pose.
Todd Graham, over a two-week period, had the Sun Devils ready to play despite the disparate threats Colorado and Washington offered.
After dominating a team that mustered little resistance to ASU, the Sun Devils just bullied the Huskies. This game was won -- dominated, really -- on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. When talking about ASU's 53-24 win over UW, dominant is the only word that suffices.
So dominant we must ask the question, Sun Devils.
Has Todd Graham planted the seeds that will grow into a winning program for years to come? Better still, will the sower be here to reap the harvest?
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!