Updated Oct 16, 2013 - 2:58 pm
Healthy Jaxon Hood 'vital' to taming Huskies' running attack
"I was rehabbing about four times a day for three weeks straight...it was good to finally take off that green jersey and get some reps against Colorado."
He hopes those reps are helping him prepare to stop Washington's powerful running attack.
ASU's coaching staff told him he has the potential to be an elite run-stopper following his freshman year, and Hood took that to heart.
"I worked the hardest in the off-season on stopping the run and taking double teams," he said.
Saturday will be a day of judgment in assessing how much his hard work has paid off. Stopping Bishop Sankey, the nation's second-leading rusher, is as authentic a measuring stick as he'll find for the rest of the season. Hood's fully aware of the challenge ahead.
"When they play to their potential, they're (Washington) the best team in the (Pac-12) North, in my honest opinion."
Coach Todd Graham has similar sentiments for the Huskies, praising their athleticism and overall talent that will be the toughest they face until the postseason.
He's happy to have one of his best plugs back to take some pressure away from Will Sutton and rest of the D-line.
"It really hurt us a lot more than what I was anticipating it would losing him. He's vital to what we're doing, and he's just scratching the surface at how good he's going to be."
Hood is confident he'll rise to the occasion, and is zoned in on showcasing his strengths.
"I'm fired up to be back doing what my little short self does best...taking on that double team."
Hood joked that being injured had a bit of a silver lining.
"That's how you meet some girls, limping around and carrying your backpack."
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.