ASU's Chris Coyle: 'We've got to establish run' vs. Washington
"There's not a team on our schedule that's more talented than the team rolling in here Saturday," he said Tuesday. "And we've played some really good football teams."
The proof of the talent is in the statistics.
Washington ranks eighth in the nation in total offense (526.8 yards per game) and 20th nationally in total defense (344.2 yards per game.) The Huskies are one of only six teams to rank in the top 20 in both categories.
ASU tight end Chris Coyle sees the talent on the Huskies' defense.
"I see that they've got a lot of great athletes," Coyle said Tuesday. "They make a lot of plays out there and they do a lot of reading. They're not necessarily a penetration defense, so we've got to do what Oregon did to them, wear 'em down and get plays moving quickly."
In their loss to Oregon last Saturday, Washington yielded a season-high 631 yards of offense. The Ducks outgained the Huskies 161-20 and held the ball for over 11 minutes in the fourth quarter, pulling away for a 45-24 win.
"We've got to establish the run on these guys, they're big and physical, but the only way we're going to be able to get passes downfield is if we beat them up front at first," Coyle said.
Arizona State is coming off a win over Colorado in which they ran for a season-high 276 yards as a team -- with 159 of that total coming in the first half.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.