Updated Oct 16, 2013 - 9:46 am
ASU AD Patterson casts aside rumors of departure to Texas
Now, 33 years later, Dodds' job is about to be up for grabs and rumors of Patterson's return to his alma mater to fill the opening have begun to swirl.
When asked Tuesday on The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta about the prospect of leaving for the moneyed Longhorns, however, the ASU athletic director was quick to downplay a potential departure.
"I was on the nine-year plan as an undergrad and law student there," Patterson said with a laugh. "I think I've done my time."
Patterson graduated with honors in 1980, earning a business administration degree, before going on to Texas School of Law, from where he graduated in 1984.
"I loved it," Patterson said of Austin, "but I love what I'm doing here."
The Wisconsin native took over as the ASU athletic director back in March of 2012, after spending time working in executive positions with the Houston Rockets, the Portland Trail Blazers and the Houston Texans.
"I think we're building something very special," Patterson went on. "We're starting the demolition of the north end zone, we've got a basketball program that's coming back, we've got good teams like volleyball and water polo."
With ASU's most visible teams on the rise -- with second-year coach Todd Graham at the helm of the football team and tenured coach Herb Sendek leading the basketball team -- and its always-competitive baseball team still in good form, Patterson has at least some reason to deny the whispers of his exit.
"What I get excited about is growing a program," he said.
"I'm excited to be here at ASU and I don't look forward to moving."
- The Pulse: Fans like ASU's chances in Pac-12 Championship, think Sun Devils will win close
- ASU vs. Stanford: Pac-12 Championship Preview
- The Pulse: ASU fans fear Stanford's Tyler Gaffney most
- Arizona State 60 minutes from punching ticket to first Rose Bowl in 17 years
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'We've got to take it' from Stanford
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition