ASU's Sutton named midseason All-American by USA Today
Sutton -- though he's averaging a pedestrian three tackles per game with 2.5 total tackles for loss and one sack -- earned a number of preseason recognitions. Sutton was named to the preseason watch lists for the Rotary Lombardi Award, awarded to the nation's most outstanding down lineman, and the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award.
Sutton was named the 2012 Pat Tillman Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and a consensus All-American after recording 23.5 tackles for loss and 13 sacks as a junior. Sutton elected to turn down the NFL and return to ASU for his senior season.
The 6-foot-1, 305-pounder is joined on the list by Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, Washington running back Bishop Sankey, UCLA offensive lineman Xavier Su'a-Filo and linebacker Anthony Barr, and Stanford safety Ed Reynolds and returner Ty Montgomery.
ASU's defense ranks fifth in the Pac-12 in total defense and ninth in scoring defense. Sutton is ASU's 10th-leading tackler. The Sun Devils continue their season on Saturday, when they host No. 20 Washington at 3 p.m. at Sun Devil Stadium.
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.