ESPN's Mark May: ASU missed opportunity against Notre Dame
The Devils only got to check off one of those two boxes, as they lost to Notre Dame 37-34 in the Shamrock Series game in Arlington, Tex. last Saturday.
Head coach Todd Graham is still very optimistic about his ASU's chances heading into the teeth of the Pac-12 season, as the South Division title is well within the team's grasp, even with two non-conference losses on its ledger.
"I think beating Notre Dame would have been a better statement because it was on a national stage, it was at a neutral site," ESPN college football analyst Mark May told Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "All eyes were on them, you had an opportunity to go out and show America about Arizona State football, and then first of all, you come out with those uniforms. Those helmets, I did not like.
"Second of all, you lose to Notre Dame when you had the opportunity to beat a team that just got decimated by Oklahoma the week before. That would have made the statement."
Many feel that the hardest part of the Sun Devils' schedule is behind them, but May disagrees, citing a home game against a very good Washington team in two weeks and a trip to Pullman to visit the resurgent Cougars of Washington State on Halloween night.
"This team could be a 7-5 or 6-6 football team," he said. "It all depends on how they come together and Todd Graham's got to do a great job of keeping this team together."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.