ESPN's Mark May: ASU missed opportunity against Notre Dame
The Devils only got to check off one of those two boxes, as they lost to Notre Dame 37-34 in the Shamrock Series game in Arlington, Tex. last Saturday.
Head coach Todd Graham is still very optimistic about his ASU's chances heading into the teeth of the Pac-12 season, as the South Division title is well within the team's grasp, even with two non-conference losses on its ledger.
"I think beating Notre Dame would have been a better statement because it was on a national stage, it was at a neutral site," ESPN college football analyst Mark May told Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "All eyes were on them, you had an opportunity to go out and show America about Arizona State football, and then first of all, you come out with those uniforms. Those helmets, I did not like.
"Second of all, you lose to Notre Dame when you had the opportunity to beat a team that just got decimated by Oklahoma the week before. That would have made the statement."
Many feel that the hardest part of the Sun Devils' schedule is behind them, but May disagrees, citing a home game against a very good Washington team in two weeks and a trip to Pullman to visit the resurgent Cougars of Washington State on Halloween night.
"This team could be a 7-5 or 6-6 football team," he said. "It all depends on how they come together and Todd Graham's got to do a great job of keeping this team together."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was