Updated Oct 8, 2013 - 6:51 pm
ASU AD Patterson: Shamrock Series 'was a great experience'
The Sun Devils' trip to Arlington, Texas to face the Fighting Irish at the Dallas Cowboys' AT&T Stadium had implications beyond the football field.
"I thought it was a great experience for our players, for our staff, for all the fans that went down there with us," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta.
From the time the university announced it would be participating in the Shamrock Series, it always saw the matchup as an opportunity to expand its brand.
And despite losing a football game over the weekend, Patterson feels Arizona State did just that.
"It helped put us on the national stage," said the second-year AD. "If you look at the NBC ratings, that was the highest-ranked ever Shamrock Series game and it was the best Saturday night NBC had had since the Stanley Cup Finals."
ASU donned new uniforms for the occasion, featuring a flame-themed helmet, in order to look sharp, according to head coach Todd Graham.
While guests at AT&T Stadium, Patterson and his staff had the opportunity to tour the nation's most advanced football facility -- helping to inspire the renovations Sun Devil stadium will soon undergo.
"It was great to be able to see the spectacular stadium that Jerry Jones has built down there," he said.
Specifically, Patterson cited a liking for the stadium's end-zone situated club spaces, signage and sponsorship opportunities and customer service.
ASU personnel also toured the football facilities of Texas A&M University and Texas Christian University.
As they prepare to face Colorado in Tempe on Saturday, and Washington the following week, Patterson likes where the program is and where it is going, despite the performance against Notre Dame.
"I think we're heading in the right direction," he said.
"We're not where we want to be yet, but we've certainly made a lot of progress on the football front."
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.