Updated Oct 8, 2013 - 6:51 pm
ASU AD Patterson: Shamrock Series 'was a great experience'
The Sun Devils' trip to Arlington, Texas to face the Fighting Irish at the Dallas Cowboys' AT&T Stadium had implications beyond the football field.
"I thought it was a great experience for our players, for our staff, for all the fans that went down there with us," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta.
From the time the university announced it would be participating in the Shamrock Series, it always saw the matchup as an opportunity to expand its brand.
And despite losing a football game over the weekend, Patterson feels Arizona State did just that.
"It helped put us on the national stage," said the second-year AD. "If you look at the NBC ratings, that was the highest-ranked ever Shamrock Series game and it was the best Saturday night NBC had had since the Stanley Cup Finals."
ASU donned new uniforms for the occasion, featuring a flame-themed helmet, in order to look sharp, according to head coach Todd Graham.
While guests at AT&T Stadium, Patterson and his staff had the opportunity to tour the nation's most advanced football facility -- helping to inspire the renovations Sun Devil stadium will soon undergo.
"It was great to be able to see the spectacular stadium that Jerry Jones has built down there," he said.
Specifically, Patterson cited a liking for the stadium's end-zone situated club spaces, signage and sponsorship opportunities and customer service.
ASU personnel also toured the football facilities of Texas A&M University and Texas Christian University.
As they prepare to face Colorado in Tempe on Saturday, and Washington the following week, Patterson likes where the program is and where it is going, despite the performance against Notre Dame.
"I think we're heading in the right direction," he said.
"We're not where we want to be yet, but we've certainly made a lot of progress on the football front."
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Todd Graham, Arizona State Sun Devils are ready to go
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.