Updated Oct 8, 2013 - 6:51 pm
ASU AD Patterson: Shamrock Series 'was a great experience'
The Sun Devils' trip to Arlington, Texas to face the Fighting Irish at the Dallas Cowboys' AT&T Stadium had implications beyond the football field.
"I thought it was a great experience for our players, for our staff, for all the fans that went down there with us," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta.
From the time the university announced it would be participating in the Shamrock Series, it always saw the matchup as an opportunity to expand its brand.
And despite losing a football game over the weekend, Patterson feels Arizona State did just that.
"It helped put us on the national stage," said the second-year AD. "If you look at the NBC ratings, that was the highest-ranked ever Shamrock Series game and it was the best Saturday night NBC had had since the Stanley Cup Finals."
ASU donned new uniforms for the occasion, featuring a flame-themed helmet, in order to look sharp, according to head coach Todd Graham.
While guests at AT&T Stadium, Patterson and his staff had the opportunity to tour the nation's most advanced football facility -- helping to inspire the renovations Sun Devil stadium will soon undergo.
"It was great to be able to see the spectacular stadium that Jerry Jones has built down there," he said.
Specifically, Patterson cited a liking for the stadium's end-zone situated club spaces, signage and sponsorship opportunities and customer service.
ASU personnel also toured the football facilities of Texas A&M University and Texas Christian University.
As they prepare to face Colorado in Tempe on Saturday, and Washington the following week, Patterson likes where the program is and where it is going, despite the performance against Notre Dame.
"I think we're heading in the right direction," he said.
"We're not where we want to be yet, but we've certainly made a lot of progress on the football front."
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.