Updated Oct 8, 2013 - 6:51 pm
ASU AD Patterson: Shamrock Series 'was a great experience'
The Sun Devils' trip to Arlington, Texas to face the Fighting Irish at the Dallas Cowboys' AT&T Stadium had implications beyond the football field.
"I thought it was a great experience for our players, for our staff, for all the fans that went down there with us," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta.
From the time the university announced it would be participating in the Shamrock Series, it always saw the matchup as an opportunity to expand its brand.
And despite losing a football game over the weekend, Patterson feels Arizona State did just that.
"It helped put us on the national stage," said the second-year AD. "If you look at the NBC ratings, that was the highest-ranked ever Shamrock Series game and it was the best Saturday night NBC had had since the Stanley Cup Finals."
ASU donned new uniforms for the occasion, featuring a flame-themed helmet, in order to look sharp, according to head coach Todd Graham.
While guests at AT&T Stadium, Patterson and his staff had the opportunity to tour the nation's most advanced football facility -- helping to inspire the renovations Sun Devil stadium will soon undergo.
"It was great to be able to see the spectacular stadium that Jerry Jones has built down there," he said.
Specifically, Patterson cited a liking for the stadium's end-zone situated club spaces, signage and sponsorship opportunities and customer service.
ASU personnel also toured the football facilities of Texas A&M University and Texas Christian University.
As they prepare to face Colorado in Tempe on Saturday, and Washington the following week, Patterson likes where the program is and where it is going, despite the performance against Notre Dame.
"I think we're heading in the right direction," he said.
"We're not where we want to be yet, but we've certainly made a lot of progress on the football front."
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?