Academy football teams begin 2nd uncertain week
(AP) - The service academy football teams are preparing to play this weekend's games amid some uncertainty because of the partial government shutdown.
Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk says he is providing more information to the Defense Department that shows the academy will not use government funds to play at Duke on Saturday. He said, "No one has told us we can't play."
Air Force plays at home against San Diego State on Thursday night. Army is home against Eastern Michigan.
The Defense Department last week temporarily suspended sports competition at the academies because of the budget impasse in Congress that led to the shutdown. But the academies were allowed to play football because no government money was used.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?