Physical opponents have left toll on ASU's defense
The Sun Devils' run defense is an alarming issue, but coach Todd Graham is attributing it to the caliber of the teams they've played in the last three weeks.
"Well our tackling in last week's game wasn't very good, but I think that had a lot to do with how good the running back was," Graham said. "I think it had a lot to do with the physicality. That's one of the things that I think our guys have to understand -- that right now, what we're dealing with every week is such a physical battle.
"I mean I'm talking about extremely physical and I think our tackling got a little tired."
Both Wisconsin and Stanford, the two opponents preceding the game against USC, are known for their power blocking and physical style of play, and they both had success running the ball against the Arizona State defense.
Sun Devils defensive tackle Will Sutton said Notre Dame's offensive line ranks right with those two schools.
"I think (Notre Dame's is) better than Wisconsin, but not as good as Stanford's," Sutton said. "We got to come and fight."
Sutton agreed with Graham that the missed tackles were an issue against USC as well as Stanford. He said that many of the long runs the defense gave up should have been prevented by wrapping up the runners when they first made contact.
The Sun Devils expect to get a break from the hyper-physical style of play after Notre Dame when they host Colorado on Oct. 12, but they'll have to get through the Fighting Irish at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, first.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!