Physical opponents have left toll on ASU's defense
The Sun Devils' run defense is an alarming issue, but coach Todd Graham is attributing it to the caliber of the teams they've played in the last three weeks.
"Well our tackling in last week's game wasn't very good, but I think that had a lot to do with how good the running back was," Graham said. "I think it had a lot to do with the physicality. That's one of the things that I think our guys have to understand -- that right now, what we're dealing with every week is such a physical battle.
"I mean I'm talking about extremely physical and I think our tackling got a little tired."
Both Wisconsin and Stanford, the two opponents preceding the game against USC, are known for their power blocking and physical style of play, and they both had success running the ball against the Arizona State defense.
Sun Devils defensive tackle Will Sutton said Notre Dame's offensive line ranks right with those two schools.
"I think (Notre Dame's is) better than Wisconsin, but not as good as Stanford's," Sutton said. "We got to come and fight."
Sutton agreed with Graham that the missed tackles were an issue against USC as well as Stanford. He said that many of the long runs the defense gave up should have been prevented by wrapping up the runners when they first made contact.
The Sun Devils expect to get a break from the hyper-physical style of play after Notre Dame when they host Colorado on Oct. 12, but they'll have to get through the Fighting Irish at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, first.
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Final
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Arizona State dips in national polls after loss to Stanford in Pac-12 Championship
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition