Physical opponents have left toll on ASU's defense
The Sun Devils' run defense is an alarming issue, but coach Todd Graham is attributing it to the caliber of the teams they've played in the last three weeks.
"Well our tackling in last week's game wasn't very good, but I think that had a lot to do with how good the running back was," Graham said. "I think it had a lot to do with the physicality. That's one of the things that I think our guys have to understand -- that right now, what we're dealing with every week is such a physical battle.
"I mean I'm talking about extremely physical and I think our tackling got a little tired."
Both Wisconsin and Stanford, the two opponents preceding the game against USC, are known for their power blocking and physical style of play, and they both had success running the ball against the Arizona State defense.
Sun Devils defensive tackle Will Sutton said Notre Dame's offensive line ranks right with those two schools.
"I think (Notre Dame's is) better than Wisconsin, but not as good as Stanford's," Sutton said. "We got to come and fight."
Sutton agreed with Graham that the missed tackles were an issue against USC as well as Stanford. He said that many of the long runs the defense gave up should have been prevented by wrapping up the runners when they first made contact.
The Sun Devils expect to get a break from the hyper-physical style of play after Notre Dame when they host Colorado on Oct. 12, but they'll have to get through the Fighting Irish at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, first.
- More than all-access
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.