ASU's Graham: Big runs have 'been our nemesis'
The No. 22 Sun Devils (3-1, 1-1 Pac-12) have allowed more than 200 rushing yards in each of their last three games, and have allowed runs of 80, 32 and 58 yards against Wisconsin, Stanford and Southern California.
"Obviously we're not doing very well," Graham said.
That's something that will likely need to be corrected if ASU wants to knock off Notre Dame in Dallas on Saturday. The Fighting Irish average 134 rushing yards per game, and use their ground attack to open things up for their 28th-ranked passing offense.
Graham said defensive alignment has been a cause for many of the gashing runs, adding that ASU was misaligned on 15 plays during its 62-41 win over USC.
"We're just a guy too short in some spots," Graham said. "It does warrant some adjustments to what we're doing. When I see that many alignment things … we've done too much (schematically). If you're looking at something A through Z, we're operating on T when we should be focusing on G."
Despite Arizona State's issues in the run game, its interior defense has been stout. Between Will Sutton, Carl Bradford, Chris Young and Osahon Irabor, the Sun Devils' boundary-side defense hasn't been a problem area, and Graham singled those four out as "playing at a high level against the run."
But the Sun Devils have been burned to the field side — the direction opposite whichever hash mark the ball is spotted on — where it's easier to get ball carriers in open spaces and exploit individual matchups.
"The big-play run has been our nemesis," Graham said. "I'm encouraged because we're just one or two people getting it right from being good. Most of it we can definitely fix."
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.