Arizona State Sun Devils unveil new helmet for game against Notre Dame
The Arizona State Sun Devils will be wearing helmets unlike no other when they face the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Saturday.
Monday after coach Todd Graham's press conference the team unveiled a short video of the new uniforms and cornerback Osahon Irabor walked out in full uniform.
"We want our players to be the best, first-class in everything that we do," Graham said. "We have a tremendous brand with the fork. If you want to be a champion, you've got to look like a champion first.
"The best recruits are our players. And just like how we travel, where we stay, what we eat, the uniforms we have, when recruits come in our players are going to tell them how that is. We want to be the best in the country and taking care and providing that brand. We think we have an incredible brand with that fork and that Sun Devils. That's what this is all about."
Graham added that the new uniforms are not just for show but rather that they serve as a chance for his players to learn and grow.
"Looking sharp is an important part of being a champion," said Graham. "But it's also an important part of the educational process and teaching our players that if you want to be successful it looks a certain way, it speaks a certain way, it walks a certain way, it plays a certain way and it works a certain way."
The helmets have flames spread throughout. The facemasks are a charcoal color. And each helmet is adorned in the back with a three forks going from left to right.
The most notable thing about the flames design, is that they it will appear slightly different on every helmet Saturday.
"We're really excited to wear these uniforms for the fans and represent Sun Devil nation with character, class and integrity," said Irabor, who was also modeling off black sleeves with maroon and gold flames on both arms.
The Shamrock Series uniforms mark the fifth different jersey-helmet combination the Sun Devils have worn through their first five games in 2013.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was