Arizona State Sun Devils unveil new helmet for game against Notre Dame
The Arizona State Sun Devils will be wearing helmets unlike no other when they face the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Saturday.
Monday after coach Todd Graham's press conference the team unveiled a short video of the new uniforms and cornerback Osahon Irabor walked out in full uniform.
"We want our players to be the best, first-class in everything that we do," Graham said. "We have a tremendous brand with the fork. If you want to be a champion, you've got to look like a champion first.
"The best recruits are our players. And just like how we travel, where we stay, what we eat, the uniforms we have, when recruits come in our players are going to tell them how that is. We want to be the best in the country and taking care and providing that brand. We think we have an incredible brand with that fork and that Sun Devils. That's what this is all about."
Graham added that the new uniforms are not just for show but rather that they serve as a chance for his players to learn and grow.
"Looking sharp is an important part of being a champion," said Graham. "But it's also an important part of the educational process and teaching our players that if you want to be successful it looks a certain way, it speaks a certain way, it walks a certain way, it plays a certain way and it works a certain way."
The helmets have flames spread throughout. The facemasks are a charcoal color. And each helmet is adorned in the back with a three forks going from left to right.
The most notable thing about the flames design, is that they it will appear slightly different on every helmet Saturday.
"We're really excited to wear these uniforms for the fans and represent Sun Devil nation with character, class and integrity," said Irabor, who was also modeling off black sleeves with maroon and gold flames on both arms.
The Shamrock Series uniforms mark the fifth different jersey-helmet combination the Sun Devils have worn through their first five games in 2013.
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Arizona State dips in national polls after loss to Stanford in Pac-12 Championship
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Saturday's loss certainly hurts, but for ASU, this is the ground floor
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition