ESPN's Darren Rovell on ASU-Wisconsin controversy: 'This can't happen'
We've heard from coaches, players, analysts and well, everyone who saw the game live or on television.
Now, we hear from the business sector.
"The Pac-12 can not allow the officials walk off the field, and they can not allow the teams to walk off the field," ESPN sports business analyst Darren Rovell told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620. "On Monday morning, (commissioner Larry Scott) is going to come and say 'yeah, the officials should have acted with more expediency.' That's just not acceptable."
Scott issued a vague statement Monday in which he admitted the conference had "reprimanded" the officiating crew that worked the game without giving any details of their exact punishment.
"I've never played football, but from a business standpoint, I do think I have some authority, and I would say that this can't happen," Rovell said. "This is like the NCAA vacating championships after there's been some sort of violation five years later -- it doesn't matter.
"If there's any major question, you can't allow this game to end. You have to figure out the what the solution is right there."
As far as backlash from the game, Rovell doesn't expect Big Ten teams to stop traveling to Pac-12 venues for football, and thinks that the timing of the controversy will make it go away.
"If this had happened at the end of the season, which would obviously be a fluke in scheduling, because that doesn't really happen, I think this would be much more of a situation."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- ASU's Taylor Kelly lands on Davey O'Brien Award watch list
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?