ESPN's Darren Rovell on ASU-Wisconsin controversy: 'This can't happen'
We've heard from coaches, players, analysts and well, everyone who saw the game live or on television.
Now, we hear from the business sector.
"The Pac-12 can not allow the officials walk off the field, and they can not allow the teams to walk off the field," ESPN sports business analyst Darren Rovell told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620. "On Monday morning, (commissioner Larry Scott) is going to come and say 'yeah, the officials should have acted with more expediency.' That's just not acceptable."
Scott issued a vague statement Monday in which he admitted the conference had "reprimanded" the officiating crew that worked the game without giving any details of their exact punishment.
"I've never played football, but from a business standpoint, I do think I have some authority, and I would say that this can't happen," Rovell said. "This is like the NCAA vacating championships after there's been some sort of violation five years later -- it doesn't matter.
"If there's any major question, you can't allow this game to end. You have to figure out the what the solution is right there."
As far as backlash from the game, Rovell doesn't expect Big Ten teams to stop traveling to Pac-12 venues for football, and thinks that the timing of the controversy will make it go away.
"If this had happened at the end of the season, which would obviously be a fluke in scheduling, because that doesn't really happen, I think this would be much more of a situation."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.