Updated Sep 17, 2013 - 7:15 pm
Wisconsin State Journal publishes ASU-themed cartoon
In case you've somehow missed the multitude of opinions on the game's final 18 seconds over the past few days (like this one, this one or this one), Wisconsin attempted to center the ball for would-be game-winning field goal attempt. But after Badger quarterback Joel Stave took a knee in the center of the field, he set the ball down, and a pair of ASU defenders jumped on the ball — either thinking it was a fumble or trying to delay the officials from spotting the ball and allowing Stave to spike it and stop the clock.
Regardless of what their intentions were, the clock ran out before the referees were able to get the ball spotted, securing a 32-30 ASU win.
The Wisconsin State Journal — the largest newspaper in Madison, Wisc. — is also apparently upset about the ending, as evidenced by this cartoon that ran in the paper's Monday edition.
Pac-12 Officiating Coordinator Tony Corrente told the Pac-12 Networks that the play "didn't meet the standard of what we expect from our officials."
It's safe to say that the State Journal feels the same way.
- Stagnant or statement
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.