Arizona State is 2-0, and that's what matters -- for now
The Sun Devils are 2-0. End. Of. Story.
It seems as if half of college football wants Todd Graham and ASU to apologize for the way they won on Saturday night. As if it was some kind of a fender bender in the mall parking lot. Others would like the program to say thanks for the present; with as hot as it was at Sun Devil Stadium that night, who knew it was Christmas in Tempe?
In watching, and re-watching, that game - as crazy as this may sound with all the stupid mistakes ASU made that night - I did think they were the better team. Or at least, the team with the better players. Those players and their coach nearly squandered it away in a flurry of mistakes that were conveniently glossed over by the national attention devoted to that ghost of a kneel and the subsequent botch job by the referee crew.
So rather than apologize or say thanks, the hope here is that Graham and company get to work by tightening some very loose screws. Dropped passes. High flying snaps and the punters who are brain locked by them. Baffling play calling. A prevent defense that offers more space than the parking lot your kid learned to drive in.
Those are the kind of mistakes that, if unaddressed, can derail a hopeful season.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Arizona State dips in national polls after loss to Stanford in Pac-12 Championship
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Saturday's loss certainly hurts, but for ASU, this is the ground floor
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition