Arizona State is 2-0, and that's what matters -- for now
The Sun Devils are 2-0. End. Of. Story.
It seems as if half of college football wants Todd Graham and ASU to apologize for the way they won on Saturday night. As if it was some kind of a fender bender in the mall parking lot. Others would like the program to say thanks for the present; with as hot as it was at Sun Devil Stadium that night, who knew it was Christmas in Tempe?
In watching, and re-watching, that game - as crazy as this may sound with all the stupid mistakes ASU made that night - I did think they were the better team. Or at least, the team with the better players. Those players and their coach nearly squandered it away in a flurry of mistakes that were conveniently glossed over by the national attention devoted to that ghost of a kneel and the subsequent botch job by the referee crew.
So rather than apologize or say thanks, the hope here is that Graham and company get to work by tightening some very loose screws. Dropped passes. High flying snaps and the punters who are brain locked by them. Baffling play calling. A prevent defense that offers more space than the parking lot your kid learned to drive in.
Those are the kind of mistakes that, if unaddressed, can derail a hopeful season.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.