Arizona State is 2-0, and that's what matters -- for now
The Sun Devils are 2-0. End. Of. Story.
It seems as if half of college football wants Todd Graham and ASU to apologize for the way they won on Saturday night. As if it was some kind of a fender bender in the mall parking lot. Others would like the program to say thanks for the present; with as hot as it was at Sun Devil Stadium that night, who knew it was Christmas in Tempe?
In watching, and re-watching, that game - as crazy as this may sound with all the stupid mistakes ASU made that night - I did think they were the better team. Or at least, the team with the better players. Those players and their coach nearly squandered it away in a flurry of mistakes that were conveniently glossed over by the national attention devoted to that ghost of a kneel and the subsequent botch job by the referee crew.
So rather than apologize or say thanks, the hope here is that Graham and company get to work by tightening some very loose screws. Dropped passes. High flying snaps and the punters who are brain locked by them. Baffling play calling. A prevent defense that offers more space than the parking lot your kid learned to drive in.
Those are the kind of mistakes that, if unaddressed, can derail a hopeful season.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?