Arizona State is 2-0, and that's what matters -- for now
The Sun Devils are 2-0. End. Of. Story.
It seems as if half of college football wants Todd Graham and ASU to apologize for the way they won on Saturday night. As if it was some kind of a fender bender in the mall parking lot. Others would like the program to say thanks for the present; with as hot as it was at Sun Devil Stadium that night, who knew it was Christmas in Tempe?
In watching, and re-watching, that game - as crazy as this may sound with all the stupid mistakes ASU made that night - I did think they were the better team. Or at least, the team with the better players. Those players and their coach nearly squandered it away in a flurry of mistakes that were conveniently glossed over by the national attention devoted to that ghost of a kneel and the subsequent botch job by the referee crew.
So rather than apologize or say thanks, the hope here is that Graham and company get to work by tightening some very loose screws. Dropped passes. High flying snaps and the punters who are brain locked by them. Baffling play calling. A prevent defense that offers more space than the parking lot your kid learned to drive in.
Those are the kind of mistakes that, if unaddressed, can derail a hopeful season.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.