Updated Sep 11, 2013 - 3:18 pm
Wisconsin A.D. Alvarez has 'great deal of respect' for Arizona State's Graham
"I think Todd's done a very nice job with teaching his system, implementing his system," Alvarez told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Wednesday. "I think the players that he inherited sure seem to fit the type of system that he wants to run."
Alvarez noted the two programs' differences in style, with Wisconsin known for its power running offense while the Sun Devils prefer a speedier attack. He complimented ASU's skill players, who are succeeding under Graham's style, while adding that the coach has done a good job recruiting in his short time in the desert.
Graham has brought a no-nonsense attitude into the program since taking over as head coach in December 2011. He came in with the intent of playing disciplined football, and in his first season cut the team's penalties nearly in half. That might be what has drawn the admiration of Alvarez.
"I've got a great deal of respect for him and the type of program he runs," Alvarez said, adding he appreciates the the style of play Graham employs.
Wisconsin enters the game #20 in the AP poll. ASU received 64 points, placing them one spot outside the Top 25. The game kicks off at 7:30 p.m.
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?
- Rocky Harris, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Thursday December 12The aftermath of the Sun Devils loss to Stanford.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game