ESPN's May: ASU will struggle to stop Wisconsin run game
The reigning Big Ten champs bring a 2-0 record to town after wins over Massachusetts and Tennessee Tech, having outscored their opponents 93-0 in those games.
"You look at Wisconsin, can Arizona State stop the run," ESPN NCAA analyst Mark May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday.
That was a problem at times for the Sun Devils last season, but it's one they'll have to correct by Saturday. The Badgers have three players who have already amassed more than 250 yards on the ground, paced by Melvin Gordon's 284.
The sophomore is averaging 12.9 yards per tote, while senior James White is averaging 7.6 yards and freshman Corey Clement is picking up 8.6 yards per carry.
But just because the Devils need to stop the run does not mean they will, and for what it's worth, May believes ASU will struggle to slow Wisconsin's offense and handle their physical style of play.
"The best thing they could hope for," he said of the Devils, "is it's about 112 on Saturday."
Of course, Saturday's tilt is just the first in what is one of the toughest scheduling stretches any team will face, as ASU will then face No. 5 Stanford, USC and No. 21 Notre Dame. How they handle this quartet of games may very well determine how their season is remembered.
"I think it's a major test for this program, to find out exactly where they are nationally, and I think it's the first step," May said. "They're going to find out the next couple of weeks, but this is their first step for finding out how good they are.
"And if they do win this game, they'll get a lot of national attention."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.