Arizona State's Graham praises performance of Strong, linebackers
Jaelen Strong stepped up against Sacramento State, catching six passes for 58 yards and a score while also proving he has the size and hands to become a reliable third-down and red-zone target for quarterback Taylor Kelly. Strong, a junior college transfer, also impressed Graham.
"I thought he had a really solid first game," Graham said in his weekly press conference, adding that he's a fan of Strong's attitude. "Somewhere around the middle of the fourth quarter, he stopped me on the sideline and said ‘Coach, I just want to thank you for bringing me here and giving me this opportunity.' I have got a lot of respect for the character and the work ethic he has."
Graham went on to say that Strong will continue to grow and get better as he gets used to the pace of the offense.
On the other side of the ball, Graham seemed really happy with the performance of redshirt freshman LB Salamo Fiso.
"I really think Salamo is probably the guy that catches my eye more than anybody else at linebacker," Graham said. "As soon as he matures and learns what he is doing and masters what he is doing, he is a very good player."
Graham also praised senior LBs Chris Young, who was expected to fill Magee's role before the year, and Grandville Taylor, who Graham said continually impresses with his performance.
"He is a very physical person," Graham said of Taylor. "He is very smart, he doesn't make mistakes. He is a guy who really cares about doing things the right."
The linebacking corps will be tested against the Wisconsin running game, which is averaging 390 yards per game.
The teams face off on September 14 at Sun Devil Stadium.
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Todd Graham, Arizona State Sun Devils are ready to go
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.