ASU coach Todd Graham understands upset potential
On Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning, Graham was asked if he was worried his team might be susceptible to an upset themselves in their first game of the season. While Graham is confident in the Sun Devils' preparation, he acknowledged that any team is susceptible to a loss if they don't execute on game day.
"It's because teams beat themselves [with] turnovers, breakdowns in the kicking game," Graham said. "I've watched several of those games, you can feel the panic as it gets late in the fourth quarter. You don't want to put yourselves in that position. You want to respect your opponent because if you don't you're going to be humbled."
Graham has plenty of respect for Sacramento State, even after its loss against San Jose State last Thursday. He believes the offense is their strength, despite being held scoreless in that game.
"They had the ball inside the five twice, turned the ball over both times which is very uncharacteristic of them," Graham said. "They do a great job with their scheme offense. They're going to spread the field. They're a no-huddle [offense] so they move at a pretty good pace."
Graham can relate to Sacramento State, as he was in the same spot in 2010 when his Tulsa team went into South Bend and beat Notre Dame 28-27.
"We were going into Notre Dame and that was the biggest win in the history of our school," Graham said. "It makes a season for those teams. They're hungry and there's something to be said for that."
He added that as long as his team can cut down on turnovers, a recurring theme from Graham all preseason, and avoid miscues in the kicking game they should be able to ward off the upset.
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.