ASU coach Todd Graham: Ball security will be the key to measuring the offense's success
The good news for Todd Graham is that the team's leading passer (Taylor Kelly), rusher (Marion Grice, who split time with Cameron Marshall and D.J. Foster) and receiver (Chris Coyle) from a season ago are still in the fold.
The bad news, is that the trio was also part of a unit that gave the ball away 1.9 times per game in 2012 -- good for seventh-best in the conference.
It's an area Graham hopes will also look quite a bit different when ASU takes the field starting Thursday night against Sacramento State.
"If we can go through this football season and not turn the ball over, I think we can win every game," Graham said Monday. "That's pretty hard to do."
The second-year ASU coach noted that recent practices in preparation for the Hornets have him concerned about the offense's ability to limit turnovers on a consistent basis.
Sunday he said was the best offensive practice he's seen since coming to Tempe. However, Monday's practice was marred by sloppy play and giveaways.
"That's going to be the key, being consistent there," said Graham. "We practice right now better than any day we did last year. But it's still not where it needs to be."
While an absence of consistency might be noticeable for the offense as it goes into the 2013 season opener, the Sun Devils' new personnel might be a cause for optimism as the season progresses.
"I think our receiving corps is better than it was last year," said Graham. "I think we have a lot better weapons in the run game and in the pass game. We have bigger-framed guys like Jaelen [Strong] and Joe [Morris] who are 6-foot-5 and 205 or 215-pound guys that help us.
"I think Chris Coyle is better. D.J. [Foster] is the one I've seen the greatest jump in how much better he is than last year. I do think Taylor [Kelly] has matured. The key in how we're going to measure that is one thing: ball security."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!