ESPN's May: ASU will be improved from last season
Having gone 10-3 in 2007, the Devils entered 2008 with high expectations, only to stumble to a disappointing 5-8 campaign.
Todd Graham, who replaced Erickson in 2012, is hoping to avoid a similar fate. ASU surprised many with an eight-win campaign last season, but this year the team is expected to compete for a Pac-12 South title.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, ESPN NCAA analyst Mark May says it's going to be tough to have a big year because of the difficult early-season schedule that includes home games against Wisconsin and USC as well as a road game at Stanford and a neutral-site game against Notre Dame.
"After Sacramento State they've got four probable losses in a row," May said.
May, though, believes the Sun Devils will be a better team this year than last, and added he doesn't think the team is destined for a second-year slide.
"I think that right now, the mindset of this team is a little different than teams in the past," he said, adding that their approach going into the season is solid. "And plus, the talent they've got coming back in their offensive backfield, and you've got a Will Sutton in the middle defensively."
Comparing the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year to a werewolf or Tasmanian Devil, he said Sutton is the type of player who the rest of the conference's coaches have to account for.
But, May said, the Devils do have some areas where they must improve.
"They've got to find a way to stop the run," he said. "You can't give up 183 yards a game rushing and expect to be in a lot of these ball games, particularly during the season when you get worn down towards the end of the season."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!