ESPN's May: ASU will be improved from last season
Having gone 10-3 in 2007, the Devils entered 2008 with high expectations, only to stumble to a disappointing 5-8 campaign.
Todd Graham, who replaced Erickson in 2012, is hoping to avoid a similar fate. ASU surprised many with an eight-win campaign last season, but this year the team is expected to compete for a Pac-12 South title.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, ESPN NCAA analyst Mark May says it's going to be tough to have a big year because of the difficult early-season schedule that includes home games against Wisconsin and USC as well as a road game at Stanford and a neutral-site game against Notre Dame.
"After Sacramento State they've got four probable losses in a row," May said.
May, though, believes the Sun Devils will be a better team this year than last, and added he doesn't think the team is destined for a second-year slide.
"I think that right now, the mindset of this team is a little different than teams in the past," he said, adding that their approach going into the season is solid. "And plus, the talent they've got coming back in their offensive backfield, and you've got a Will Sutton in the middle defensively."
Comparing the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year to a werewolf or Tasmanian Devil, he said Sutton is the type of player who the rest of the conference's coaches have to account for.
But, May said, the Devils do have some areas where they must improve.
"They've got to find a way to stop the run," he said. "You can't give up 183 yards a game rushing and expect to be in a lot of these ball games, particularly during the season when you get worn down towards the end of the season."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Saturday's loss certainly hurts, but for ASU, this is the ground floor
- No roses, just thorns: Loss to Stanford should not diminish Sun Devils' season
- Pac-12 Championship Game Live: Notes from Sun Devil Stadium
- The Pulse: Fans like ASU's chances in Pac-12 Championship, think Sun Devils will win close
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition