Arizona State heralded as team with 'BCS sleeper potential'
A Sports Illustrated writer, Zac Ellis, has joined in proclaiming that the Sun Devils could surprise people this year. Ellis takes a look at the teams that didn't get ranked in the preseason coaches' poll, and he lists ASU as one of his "five teams with BCS sleeper potential."
The Sun Devils didn't stand out in a fast-improving Pac-12 last season, but Todd Graham's program could be poised to make national headlines this fall. Fourteen starters return across the roster, none more noteworthy than defensive tackle Will Sutton, who recorded 13 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss in 2012. Sutton is one of the country's premier defensive linemen, and he'll anchor a unit that finished second in the conference in total defense last year.
Ellis also praises the Sun Devils' offense, pointing to the "dangerous" running back duo of Marion Grice and D.J. Foster, as well as to starting quarterback Taylor Kelly, who is coming off a strong sophomore year and should only keeping getting better as a junior.
The writer even says ASU is overlooked within its own conference.
At this time last year, USC was the prohibitive Pac-12 South favorite. Yet the Trojans' struggles threw the division into chaos, and the Sun Devils could reap the benefits. Arizona State has the players to be one of the league's most balanced teams in 2013. If it can navigate a brutal first month that includes games against Wisconsin, Stanford, USC and Notre Dame, Graham's squad could challenge for a surprising BCS berth.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.