Todd Graham: Pac-12 Networks' ‘The Drive' a ‘positive for our program'
"When I thumb through (the channels), if I see ‘Hard Knocks' I'll kind of watch that a little bit because I find it fascinating," he said.
That's good, because Graham and the Sun Devils football program will soon be starring in their own sports reality series.
The Pac-12 Network's newest all-access show, "The Drive", will feature ASU and Cal from the start of training camp through the end of the 2013 regular season.
"I think it's pretty cool," tight end Chris Coyle said. "I think it will be something that will cause a lot of guys to sort of step up their game because they understand the cameras are going to be on them at all times. As long as guys aren't getting distracted by it, I think it will definitely benefit everyone as a whole."
Graham assured the media Friday, four days before the start of camp during what was referred to as "Mini Media Day", that the 14-episode series would not become a distraction.
"We can't disrupt the classroom," he said.
The show, according to the school's press release, will offer fans unprecedented behind-the-scenes access, including in the locker room and meeting rooms. Coaches may even wear lavalier microphones during practice.
"We go by the rules here," Graham said. "We've got great people here. We've got a great staff. We've got great players. To have a 30-minute show each week about our players and this program is, to me, a no-brainer.
"We don't have anything to hide," he continued. "There's great stories on this team. I think it'll be a positive for our program."
The one-hour series premiere is scheduled to run September 11. The next 13 episodes -- running September 18 through December 11 -- will be half-hour segments, air on Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. Each episode will be split between ASU and Cal.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?
- Rocky Harris, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Thursday December 12The aftermath of the Sun Devils loss to Stanford.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game