Sun Devils called 'best bet' for Pac-12 title
In an ESPN Insider piece, writer Will Harris examines the conference championship odds in the five power conferences, and has a good feeling about the Arizona State Sun Devils.
Harris uses odds from Heritage Sports, which have ASU as the fifth-most likely team to capture the Pac-12 title this season, behind Oregon, Stanford, USC and UCLA. But at +800 (8-to-1), Harris thinks the Sun Devils are the best pick for gamblers.
The Sun Devils aren't stocked with obvious first-team all-conference types beyond All-American Will Sutton, but this team has sufficient talent on defense and at the skill positions to make a run at league honors. This outfit also has great chemistry and double-digit wins or a division crown shouldn't be a surprise.
The Pac-12 race is fairly open this year. While none of the many contenders have really generous prices, the Sun Devils edge out Stanford and Washington as our choice from the current futures lineup.
Harris cites Chip Kelly leaving for the NFL and leaving the Oregon coaching reins to the unproven Mark Helfrich as the reason for looking somewhere other than Eugene for this year's Pac-12 champ.
Harris also likes South Carolina in the SEC, Oklahoma in the Big 12, Michigan in the Big Ten and Clemson in the ACC.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?
- Rocky Harris, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Thursday December 12The aftermath of the Sun Devils loss to Stanford.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game