Sun Devils called 'best bet' for Pac-12 title
In an ESPN Insider piece, writer Will Harris examines the conference championship odds in the five power conferences, and has a good feeling about the Arizona State Sun Devils.
Harris uses odds from Heritage Sports, which have ASU as the fifth-most likely team to capture the Pac-12 title this season, behind Oregon, Stanford, USC and UCLA. But at +800 (8-to-1), Harris thinks the Sun Devils are the best pick for gamblers.
The Sun Devils aren't stocked with obvious first-team all-conference types beyond All-American Will Sutton, but this team has sufficient talent on defense and at the skill positions to make a run at league honors. This outfit also has great chemistry and double-digit wins or a division crown shouldn't be a surprise.
The Pac-12 race is fairly open this year. While none of the many contenders have really generous prices, the Sun Devils edge out Stanford and Washington as our choice from the current futures lineup.
Harris cites Chip Kelly leaving for the NFL and leaving the Oregon coaching reins to the unproven Mark Helfrich as the reason for looking somewhere other than Eugene for this year's Pac-12 champ.
Harris also likes South Carolina in the SEC, Oklahoma in the Big 12, Michigan in the Big Ten and Clemson in the ACC.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- More than all-access
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.