Sun Devils called 'best bet' for Pac-12 title
In an ESPN Insider piece, writer Will Harris examines the conference championship odds in the five power conferences, and has a good feeling about the Arizona State Sun Devils.
Harris uses odds from Heritage Sports, which have ASU as the fifth-most likely team to capture the Pac-12 title this season, behind Oregon, Stanford, USC and UCLA. But at +800 (8-to-1), Harris thinks the Sun Devils are the best pick for gamblers.
The Sun Devils aren't stocked with obvious first-team all-conference types beyond All-American Will Sutton, but this team has sufficient talent on defense and at the skill positions to make a run at league honors. This outfit also has great chemistry and double-digit wins or a division crown shouldn't be a surprise.
The Pac-12 race is fairly open this year. While none of the many contenders have really generous prices, the Sun Devils edge out Stanford and Washington as our choice from the current futures lineup.
Harris cites Chip Kelly leaving for the NFL and leaving the Oregon coaching reins to the unproven Mark Helfrich as the reason for looking somewhere other than Eugene for this year's Pac-12 champ.
Harris also likes South Carolina in the SEC, Oklahoma in the Big 12, Michigan in the Big Ten and Clemson in the ACC.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.