Alden Darby lands spot on Jim Thorpe Award Preseason Watch List
The Thorpe Award is presented annually to the nation's top college football defensive back.
Darby, a senior from Long Beach, Calif., finished fifth on the team with 80 total tackles in 2012 and also registered 5.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, three interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.
He also became the first player in the ASU football program to don the "PT42" practice jersey in 2012. The jersey is a tribute to the memory of Pat Tillman, the former Sun Devil who was killed while serving in the United States Army in Afghanistan in 2004.
Seven other players from the Pac-12 are on the list: Dion Bailey of USC, Deone Bucannon of Washington State, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu and Terrance Mitchell of Oregon, Ed Reynolds and Jordan Richards of Stanford and Oregon State's Rashaad Reynolds.
Johnthan Banks of Mississippi State was the 2012 recipient of the award, which will be presented during The Home Depot College Football Awards Show December 12, 2013 on ESPN.
- ASU's Todd Graham a finalist for Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Final
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition