Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 8:31 am
ASU coach Graham: Our players are excited for tough schedule
Following the home opener against Sacramento State, the Devils will host Wisconsin, travel to play Stanford, come back home to face USC and then head to Texas to take on Notre Dame in a neutral site contest.
It's a brutal stretch, but also one that, should the team survive, could set them up for a big season.
"Obviously that's not something that every year you'd want that kind of schedule, especially those first five ball games, but we're excited about it," ASU head coach Todd Graham told Sirius XM's College Sports Coast to Coast show "Obviously I've got a great belief in our football team and I really believe this team has an opportunity to compete for a Pac-12 championship so we're excited about the opportunity."
In fact, Graham said his players' want to play in big games, so they actually look forward to matchups like the ones ahead of them.
"Our philosophy is every year we want to have a marquee game," Graham said, noting how this year's slate features more than one. "I think our players want to play in those kind of games so I think they're excited about it.
"I can tell how our guys have prepared and how hard they're working this summer and this spring. They understand the challenge ahead of them."
Graham added his players seem to understand just how good they'll have to play to make it through that stretch with a good amount of success.
2013 Arizona State Football Schedule
|September 5||vs. Sacramento State||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||7:00 p.m|
|September 14||vs. Wisconsin||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||7:30 p.m.|
|September 21||at Stanford||Stanford Stadium - Palo Alto, CA||TBA|
|September 28||vs. USC||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|October 5||vs. Notre Dame||Cowboys Stadium - Arlington, TX||4:30 p.m|
|October 12||vs. Colorado||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|October 19||vs. Washington||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|October 31||at Washington State||Martin Stadium - Pullman, WA||7:30 p.m.|
|November 9||at Utah||Rice-Eccles Stadium - SLC, UT||TBA|
|November 16||vs. Oregon State||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|November 23||at UCLA||Rose Bowl - Pasadena, CA||TBA|
|November 30||vs. Arizona||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.