Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 8:31 am
ASU coach Graham: Our players are excited for tough schedule
Following the home opener against Sacramento State, the Devils will host Wisconsin, travel to play Stanford, come back home to face USC and then head to Texas to take on Notre Dame in a neutral site contest.
It's a brutal stretch, but also one that, should the team survive, could set them up for a big season.
"Obviously that's not something that every year you'd want that kind of schedule, especially those first five ball games, but we're excited about it," ASU head coach Todd Graham told Sirius XM's College Sports Coast to Coast show "Obviously I've got a great belief in our football team and I really believe this team has an opportunity to compete for a Pac-12 championship so we're excited about the opportunity."
In fact, Graham said his players' want to play in big games, so they actually look forward to matchups like the ones ahead of them.
"Our philosophy is every year we want to have a marquee game," Graham said, noting how this year's slate features more than one. "I think our players want to play in those kind of games so I think they're excited about it.
"I can tell how our guys have prepared and how hard they're working this summer and this spring. They understand the challenge ahead of them."
Graham added his players seem to understand just how good they'll have to play to make it through that stretch with a good amount of success.
2013 Arizona State Football Schedule
|September 5||vs. Sacramento State||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||7:00 p.m|
|September 14||vs. Wisconsin||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||7:30 p.m.|
|September 21||at Stanford||Stanford Stadium - Palo Alto, CA||TBA|
|September 28||vs. USC||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|October 5||vs. Notre Dame||Cowboys Stadium - Arlington, TX||4:30 p.m|
|October 12||vs. Colorado||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|October 19||vs. Washington||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|October 31||at Washington State||Martin Stadium - Pullman, WA||7:30 p.m.|
|November 9||at Utah||Rice-Eccles Stadium - SLC, UT||TBA|
|November 16||vs. Oregon State||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
|November 23||at UCLA||Rose Bowl - Pasadena, CA||TBA|
|November 30||vs. Arizona||Sun Devil Stadium - Tempe, AZ||TBA|
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.