Updated Jun 4, 2013 - 9:26 pm
ASU AD: Notre Dame would rather play Rice or Temple
However, that issue is not yet officially settled, meaning there is still some negotiating to be done and some conversations to be had between the schools.
"Talking to them as recently as two hours ago, we're still in discussions," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday afternoon.
What, exactly, is being discussed is not entirely clear. Notre Dame, having moved to the ACC, is trying to free up a spot on the schedule to take on another conference foe. However, ASU is not exactly pleased with the idea of seeing one of the biggest draws on its 2014 schedule bail so late in the process. Notre Dame, who Arizona State will play on October 5 of this year in Cowboys Stadium, was in the 2012 BCS Championship Game and would provide a big early-season matchup for coach Todd Graham and the Sun Devils.
"I think they're excited about their new TV contract with the ACC, so they think it's probably not as beneficial to come to Tempe and take on Todd's team," Patterson said. "I think they've got a football coach who would prefer to play Rice and Temple.
"But we'll keep talking and see where we can get."
Rice, who is a member of Conference USA, went 7-6, whereas Temple, as part of the Big East, finished with a 4-7 mark.
The Devils, on the other hand, finished 2012 with an 8-5 record and appear to be on the upswing as a program.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU students anxiously anticipate Pac-12 Championship
- ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
- ASU defense ready for the challenge presented by Stanford's power running game
- ESPN Radio College GameDay to be in Tempe
- Former ASU star Jake Plummer sees himself in Taylor Kelly
- Jake Plummer, Pac-12 Network College Football Analyst - Thursday December 5Jake the Snake shares inspiring insight into ASU football and the Tillman Tunnel
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday December 4The Pac 12 Championship will be a moment to remember at Sun Devil Stadium
- Tom Luginbill, ESPN College Football Analyst - Wednesday December 4A national perspective on the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Larry Scott, Commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference - Tuesday December 3Scott previews the Pac-12 championship game.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday December 3May Day previews the Pac-12 Championship game.