Updated May 14, 2013 - 4:51 pm
ASU AD: Still hopeful Notre Dame will play in Tempe in 2014
The Sun Devils, naturally, are not pleased with the idea. After all, losing a big game like the one against the Fighting Irish would be bad enough, but it would be a struggle to find a suitable replacement for them on such short notice.
"When any university seeks to try to change a schedule a year out, or these conferences try to realign and people have to change schedules a year, year and a half, two years out, it's very difficult to find anybody to play because everybody's booked up five, six, seven, eight years into the future," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday.
Patterson, who said schedules are made years an advance, noted that his school is already looking into scheduling games that are still more than five years out. So, it stands to reason other schools are in the same boat, meaning most schools have their 2014 docket set.
"The networks schedule around that, the universities schedule around that, their alumni schedule around that, the foundations and the financial folks schedule around that, the coaches and recruiting schedules around it," Patterson said. "So it's not just something you change from one season to the next, in football."
So, what does that mean for the potential-but-in-peril matchup with the Fighting Irish that is set for Sun Devil Stadium next year?
"We're continuing to have conversations with them and I'm hopeful we'll be able to reach an accommodation that works for both schools that winds up having Notre Dame play here," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.