Updated May 14, 2013 - 4:51 pm
ASU AD: Still hopeful Notre Dame will play in Tempe in 2014
The Sun Devils, naturally, are not pleased with the idea. After all, losing a big game like the one against the Fighting Irish would be bad enough, but it would be a struggle to find a suitable replacement for them on such short notice.
"When any university seeks to try to change a schedule a year out, or these conferences try to realign and people have to change schedules a year, year and a half, two years out, it's very difficult to find anybody to play because everybody's booked up five, six, seven, eight years into the future," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday.
Patterson, who said schedules are made years an advance, noted that his school is already looking into scheduling games that are still more than five years out. So, it stands to reason other schools are in the same boat, meaning most schools have their 2014 docket set.
"The networks schedule around that, the universities schedule around that, their alumni schedule around that, the foundations and the financial folks schedule around that, the coaches and recruiting schedules around it," Patterson said. "So it's not just something you change from one season to the next, in football."
So, what does that mean for the potential-but-in-peril matchup with the Fighting Irish that is set for Sun Devil Stadium next year?
"We're continuing to have conversations with them and I'm hopeful we'll be able to reach an accommodation that works for both schools that winds up having Notre Dame play here," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!