Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 4:31 pm
Steve Patterson clarifies Chase Field announcement
That subject was the talked about -- but not finalized -- plan to renovate Sun Devil Stadium, ASU's football home since 1958.
"And while Sun Devil Stadium is being prepared, we're looking forward to playing our football games at Chase Field," Crow announced. "That's the only place for us to going forward."
That announcement was met by applause by some at Phoenix Municipal Stadium, and by a collective "huh?" by some at Arizona Diamondbacks headquarters.
ASU athletic director Steve Patterson joined Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday and cleared up the confusion.
"We've had some initial conversations," Patterson said. "I can't say that we're at a point of concluding those conversations at all. I think once we get to a point of concluding all the conversations that would happen all around it with a whole host of people, then we could announce something.
"Michael's preference certainly is to go play down there, and I think there's a lot of positives about downtown Phoenix."
ASU's law school and broadcasting program are housed at their downtown campus and students at the Tempe campus could easily travel to football games at Chase Field via light rail -- positives pointed out by Patterson.
"I think we just have to sit down with the officials that oversee the ballpark as a whole and have those conversations with all the stakeholders and perhaps see if we can come up with an agreement," Patterson said.
As far as a timetable for the proposed move, Patterson says nothing is concrete.
"Potentially, you could start with some demolition after this upcoming season and be out in 2015 and back in 2016, that would be the fastest.
"When you have as many stakeholders as we have, both in and out of government and private enterprises and baseball teams and other stakeholders at the university with IMG and Sodexo and others, it might not move that fast. But that would be the fastest it could move."
Sun Devil Stadium was last renovated in 1988 when 1,700 seats were added and the Carson Student Athlete Center was built on the south part of the facility.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU students anxiously anticipate Pac-12 Championship
- ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
- ASU defense ready for the challenge presented by Stanford's power running game
- ESPN Radio College GameDay to be in Tempe
- Former ASU star Jake Plummer sees himself in Taylor Kelly
- Jake Plummer, Pac-12 Network College Football Analyst - Thursday December 5Jake the Snake shares inspiring insight into ASU football and the Tillman Tunnel
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday December 4The Pac 12 Championship will be a moment to remember at Sun Devil Stadium
- Tom Luginbill, ESPN College Football Analyst - Wednesday December 4A national perspective on the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Larry Scott, Commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference - Tuesday December 3Scott previews the Pac-12 championship game.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday December 3May Day previews the Pac-12 Championship game.