Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 11:09 am
ASU president says football team will play games at Chase Field
According to university president Michael Crow, that home will be Chase Field.
"We get a brand new Sun Devil Stadium, and while Sun Devil Stadium is being prepared we look forward to playing our football games at Chase Field," he said during a press conference to announce the baseball team's move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium. That will take place in 2015.
Crow did not elaborate any further, and there is no timetable set for when the renovations -- or the move -- will take place. But, according to Crow, it will happen.
"That's the only place for us to play, going forward," he said. "So it's really an example of this fantastic relationship that we have with the City of Phoenix."
Chase Field is not a stranger to football, hosting the Insight Bowl from 2000 to 2005. Arizona State participated in the '05 game, knocking off Rutgers 45-40.
"We know that the city of Phoenix wants it to happen," Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said. "Diamondbacks are a wonderful organization that are great to partner with, are community based, so we know they'll work out the logistics.
"But location wise, look, the heart of the city; we can bring in massive amounts of people."
- Special teams key for ASU against Stanford in Pac-12 Championship Game
- About 10K tickets remain for Pac-12 Championship
- SI's Mandel: ASU would have a 'strong case' to be part of College Football Playoff
- ESPN's Tom Luginbill: ASU's adjustments vs. Stanford run game will be key
- ESPN's Mark May: Stanford QB Hogan key to Pac-12 Championship Game
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday December 4The Pac 12 Championship will be a moment to remember at Sun Devil Stadium
- Tom Luginbill, ESPN College Football Analyst - Wednesday December 4A national perspective on the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Larry Scott, Commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference - Tuesday December 3Scott previews the Pac-12 championship game.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday December 3May Day previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Tuesday December 3Mandel discusses USC's coaching hire and the Pac-12 Championship game.