Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 11:09 am
ASU president says football team will play games at Chase Field
According to university president Michael Crow, that home will be Chase Field.
"We get a brand new Sun Devil Stadium, and while Sun Devil Stadium is being prepared we look forward to playing our football games at Chase Field," he said during a press conference to announce the baseball team's move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium. That will take place in 2015.
Crow did not elaborate any further, and there is no timetable set for when the renovations -- or the move -- will take place. But, according to Crow, it will happen.
"That's the only place for us to play, going forward," he said. "So it's really an example of this fantastic relationship that we have with the City of Phoenix."
Chase Field is not a stranger to football, hosting the Insight Bowl from 2000 to 2005. Arizona State participated in the '05 game, knocking off Rutgers 45-40.
"We know that the city of Phoenix wants it to happen," Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said. "Diamondbacks are a wonderful organization that are great to partner with, are community based, so we know they'll work out the logistics.
"But location wise, look, the heart of the city; we can bring in massive amounts of people."
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.