Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 11:09 am
ASU president says football team will play games at Chase Field
According to university president Michael Crow, that home will be Chase Field.
"We get a brand new Sun Devil Stadium, and while Sun Devil Stadium is being prepared we look forward to playing our football games at Chase Field," he said during a press conference to announce the baseball team's move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium. That will take place in 2015.
Crow did not elaborate any further, and there is no timetable set for when the renovations -- or the move -- will take place. But, according to Crow, it will happen.
"That's the only place for us to play, going forward," he said. "So it's really an example of this fantastic relationship that we have with the City of Phoenix."
Chase Field is not a stranger to football, hosting the Insight Bowl from 2000 to 2005. Arizona State participated in the '05 game, knocking off Rutgers 45-40.
"We know that the city of Phoenix wants it to happen," Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said. "Diamondbacks are a wonderful organization that are great to partner with, are community based, so we know they'll work out the logistics.
"But location wise, look, the heart of the city; we can bring in massive amounts of people."
- The Pulse: Fans like ASU's chances in Pac-12 Championship, think Sun Devils will win close
- ASU vs. Stanford: Pac-12 Championship Preview
- The Pulse: ASU fans fear Stanford's Tyler Gaffney most
- Arizona State 60 minutes from punching ticket to first Rose Bowl in 17 years
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'We've got to take it' from Stanford
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition