ASU's Will Sutton honored to wear PT42 jersey
Now, Will Sutton is the second.
"He's earned (it)," head coach Todd Graham said Thursday. "I see a huge difference in him this spring."
The PT42 practice jersey was presented to Sutton during a team meeting prior to practice.
"This is not going to be some fluff deal," Graham said. "I said, ‘Will has earned this jersey. The key to our success is that he keeps it.' We challenged him with that."
Sutton, named the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year last season, understands the significance of wearing PT42.
"It's an honor because (Tillman is) somebody who did a lot for this university and for our country at the same time. It means a lot.
"Doing everything right," Sutton continued on why he is just the second player to wear the jersey in practice. "Coming out, working real hard and doing everything off the field also. I worked kind of hard this spring, getting good grades and on the field doing everything right."
Sutton did just about everything right his junior year, leading the team in tackles for a loss (23.5) and sacks (13) in becoming ASU's 18th Consensus All-American.
He prefers to lead by example.
"They want me to be a little more vocal," he said. "I'm working on it, trying to see how it is. It's a little uncomfortable."
Graham said it's up to Sutton how long he'll continue to wear PT42.
"You've got to earn it. You've got to bring it every day," Graham said. "I'm telling you, (Sutton has) been bringing it every day. He's coaching the other guys. He's telling guys this is not acceptable. He didn't do that last year. He was a great player last year but he didn't do all those things."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.