Updated Apr 5, 2013 - 9:41 am
Pitt won't release Rushel Shell to transfer to ASU
Shell, after all, was recruited to Pittsburgh by Todd Graham before he left the Panthers to become the head coach at ASU.
Not so fast, says Pitt, who apparently ise still pretty peeved at the exit strategy Graham employed back in December of 2011.
ESPN's Joe Schad says the powers-that-be at Pitt are blocking Shell's option to transfer to ASU.
Shell requested a release from his scholarship to Arizona State, Arizona, Cal and UCLA. Shell also won't be allowed to transfer to Arizona because former Pitt staffers coach there as well.
Shell was rated the sixth-best running back in the class of 2012 by Rivals.com and ran for 641 yards and four touchdowns as a freshman in 2012.
Pitt's refusal to release Shell to transfer to ASU (or Arizona for that matter) doesn't prevent him from ending up in the Grand Canyon State. It just means that if Shell chooses to play at either school, he would have to pay his own way for his first year.
- The Pulse: Fans like ASU's chances in Pac-12 Championship, think Sun Devils will win close
- ASU vs. Stanford: Pac-12 Championship Preview
- The Pulse: ASU fans fear Stanford's Tyler Gaffney most
- Arizona State 60 minutes from punching ticket to first Rose Bowl in 17 years
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'We've got to take it' from Stanford
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition