Updated Mar 28, 2013 - 2:37 pm
Pitt RB Rushel Shell taking leave of absence
Chryst released a statement Thursday stressing that Shell ``very much remains a part of our family on a daily basis'' but is not participating in spring drills at the moment.
Shell rushed for 641 yards and four touchdowns during his freshman season last fall and is projected to be the starting tailback for the Panthers when they open fall camp. Chryst said his primary concern is for Shell's well-being and that Shell has the program's full support.
Shell, from Hopewell, Pa., located about two hours east of Pittsburgh, set the state career high school rushing record during his career at Hopewell High, rushing for 9,078 yards.
Late Wednesday night rumors circulated that should Shell transfer, Arizona State was a likely possibility.
- Arizona State moves up multiple spots in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.