Updated Mar 21, 2013 - 3:22 pm
Sun Devil football is speaking Rose Bowl
"I hear Rose Bowl in my sleep," said defensive lineman Jaxon Hood, who like Graham is entering his second year with the Sun Devils.
"Since I stepped foot on this campus, that's probably the most common word," Hood continued. "I haven't heard ‘Fear the Fork'. I haven't heard ‘Sparky'. I've heard Rose Bowls more than any other word on this campus. That's the truth. So, I don't remember when the first time we started talking about Rose Bowls because that's all we talk about and that's what we're about to go get."
ASU fell well short of the Rose Bowl a year ago.
The Sun Devils finished third in the Pac-12 South; and while, yes, that did earn them a trip to California, it was not Pasadena but rather San Francisco and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.
"It's the 100th anniversary of the Rose Bowl. That's where the national championship game is at," Graham said. "(I) told (the players) I grew up watching the Rose Bowl on a 13-inch black and white TV in Dallas, Texas listening to Keith Jackson. The Granddaddy of them all. I said, ‘Every day, man, that's how we've got to work.' So, today, did we work harder than the other 11 teams in the league?"
The Sun Devils, practicing in pads for the first time Thursday, are working hard according to Hood.
"The main thing that's different from last year is everyone has got their eye on the prize," he said. "I think everyone in our program truly believes in winning every game. I think we still had some doubters last year on the team, ones that just didn't believe. But I think everyone in the program believes that this is ours for the taking. The only people who can beat us are ourselves."
Quarterback Taylor Kelly agreed. "I believe we can go to the Pac-12 Championship and win that and then see where that takes us."
The goal is the Rose Bowl, something the players are reminded about every day.
"Ten times a day. All day long," Kelly said. "We're seeing it on boards, in the hallways. It's always talked about. We break with it. It's just a goal that we're working towards. It's always good to visualize that and just keep talking about that."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!