Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 5:22 pm
New Sparky is no more; fans get to design newer mascot
Fans and alumni alike took to social media and other avenues to voice their displeasure with the mascot's new look, with many trying to figure out what it most closely resembled.
And none of the options were particularly flattering.
Well, the school heard the outcry and has decided to ask for a do-over, so to speak. ASU announced Tuesday it will ask fans to design the new mascot.
From a press release:
"Sparky is one of the best-loved mascots in collegiate athletics," said Rocky Harris, senior associate athletic director for external relations. "The university is proud that so many people are passionate about him. We have listened and now we want to give members of the Sun Devil nation the opportunity to provide their input on some of the costume's features."
The school will develop a program that will enable the Sun Devil community to pick the features of the costume's head and face. Students, alumni, season ticket holders, donors, faculty and staff will be eligible to vote.
Voting will take place from April 22 to May 5.
- Arizona State moves up multiple spots in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.