New Sparky is no more; fans get to design newer mascot
Fans and alumni alike took to social media and other avenues to voice their displeasure with the mascot's new look, with many trying to figure out what it most closely resembled.
And none of the options were particularly flattering.
Well, the school heard the outcry and has decided to ask for a do-over, so to speak. ASU announced Tuesday it will ask fans to design the new mascot.
From a press release:
"Sparky is one of the best-loved mascots in collegiate athletics," said Rocky Harris, senior associate athletic director for external relations. "The university is proud that so many people are passionate about him. We have listened and now we want to give members of the Sun Devil nation the opportunity to provide their input on some of the costume's features."
The school will develop a program that will enable the Sun Devil community to pick the features of the costume's head and face. Students, alumni, season ticket holders, donors, faculty and staff will be eligible to vote.
Voting will take place from April 22 to May 5.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.