Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 3:40 pm
ASU adds ex-Sooners defensive line coach Jackie Shipp
Shipp, a former NFL linebacker, played for the Miami Dolphins and Los Angeles Raiders during his six year career. He has 22 years of coaching experience under his belt in both the NFL and NCAA, including four national championship games with the Oklahoma Sooners.
The veteran defensive line coach ended his fourteen-year tenure under head coach Bob Stoops at Oklahoma, his alma mater, to take over the same position for the Sun Devils.
Shipp's addition brings another weapon in recruiting to head coach Todd Graham's staff. He recruited first-round draft picks Tommie Harris (DT), Gerald McCoy (DT) and Jermaine Gresham (TE) while coaching the Sooners.
The defensive line coach was named a Top 25 national recruiter by Rivals.com in 2009.
"I am thrilled to announce the hire of veteran coach Jackie Shipp to my staff at Arizona State," Graham said. "I could not have found a candidate who was a better fit for what we need at this time. Jackie is one of the best defensive line coaches in college football and our linemen will benefit from his leadership and mentoring. We just became a better football program with the appointment of Jackie Shipp. He's a top-flight recruiter with contacts in the states of Oklahoma, Texas and California. He will recruit all areas for us with special emphasis on the state of California."
The addition of Shipp moves Associate Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Paul Randolph over to coaching the linebackers and promotes Defensive Passing Game Coordinator and Safeties Coach Chris Ball to a new position.
"When Jackie became available I was able to move Paul Randolph's position emphasis to linebacker. Paul will continue to serve as defensive coordinator/linebackers along with Chris Ball (promoted to co-defensive coordinator/safeties), Joe Lorig (cornerbacks) and Jackie Shipp in our continuing effort to build a championship defense at ASU. I am also proud to announce that Chris Ball will become my co-defensive coordinator. Chris has coordinated defenses at several schools and will partner with Paul in that capacity. This is one of the top defensive coaching staffs in the nation."
Ball is looking to keep building on what is already a very respectable defensive unit at ASU.
"I am so excited and honored to be a part of Coach Graham's defensive staff at Arizona State University," Ball said. "In our first year (2012) we were third nationally in pass defense, 27th in total defense, 10th in pass efficiency defense, first in tackles for loss and second in quarterback sacks. I look forward to working with these coaches and student-athletes in our quest to build the nation's top defense."
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.