Updated Feb 25, 2013 - 3:54 pm
College hoops insider: 'Really is a difficult situation' for Sun Devils
Currently 20-8 with a 9-6 record in the Pac-12, the Sun Devils have quality wins against Arkansas, UCLA, California and Colorado, who they beat twice.
At the same time, the Devils have lost to Utah, Stanford and DePaul, and has an RPI of 86.
Needless to say, their chances of reaching the NCAA Tournament for the second time in Herb Sendek's tenure are tenuous.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Sporting News college hoops writer Mike DeCourcy said the Devils have considerable work to do if they want to go dancing in March.
"In order to get in they're going to have to finish strong, I don't think there's any question about that," he said. "And you're talking about three difficult games."
The Sun Devils' final three contests are on the road, as they will head to Los Angeles for dates with the UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans before finishing up their regular season slate in Tucson against the Wildcats.
But the team's slip up at home Saturday against Washington pretty much left them no choice but to not only beat USC, but win at least one of the other two games as well.
"So it really is a difficult situation for them, schedule-wise," DeCourcy said, pointing to ASU's RPI as something that could very well hold them back.
"If you're that deep," he said, "it just doesn't happen."
Then again, even if the Devils don't win at least two of their final three games they could earn an invitation to the dance by wining the Pac-12 Tournament. And that, DeCourcy said, could happen.
"They're certainly good enough to win it on a neutral floor," he said. "I don't think they're quite as good as Arizona is and they're not as dynamic as UCLA is, but I think they're good enough to put together three good games and win that deal."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?