Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 5:49 pm
Patterson to ASU fans: 'Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?'
In good years, the Devils tend to draw fairly well. In the not so good years, not so much.
Athletic director Steve Patterson, a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf during "Newsmakers Week", said fan support has a direct effect on the team's chance for success.
"I've been very transparent and had some difficult conversations at times," Patterson said. "I think people in the community have the opportunity to be part of the solution or part of the problem.
"And you can wake up every day and look at that in a lot of aspects of your life. Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?"
Football fans may be leaning towards becoming part of the solution, as Patterson said ticket sales are up for the 2013 season. However recent history is littered with instances where fans have not been as generous with their support. Patterson said the university is working hard to change perception of the school and make people feel good about being ASU alums, but added if they want to see top-level success they'll need to step up, too.
"If you really do love ASU and you really do want us to go somewhere," Patterson said, "and you really do want to see great athletic teams and see our athletes graduate, which they do at far greater rates...and you want to see them continue to have success, then you need to opt in to being part of the solution and support the school.
"You know, we're going to have good years and bad years, we're going to have good players and bad players. These are not professional athletes, these are student-athletes that are trying to get their degree and doing the best they can every day to win their events that they're involved in."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.