Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 11:58 pm
Fork Report: Sun Devils escape with win over California
The Good: Ruslan Pateev, "the ultimate team player" according to head coach Herb Sendek, finished with as many points (12) as he had in his last four games combined. The scoring effort tied his career-high and he also grabbed eight rebounds (five on the offensive end).
Meanwhile, Evan Gordon led all scorers with 23 points. It was his fourth 20-point performance of the season.
The Bad: After taking a 15-point lead with 8:24 to play, the Sun Devils would score only one more field goal the rest of the game. They missed eight of their final nine shots at the basket while turning it over four times. ASU ended the game with 17 turnovers, 11 coming in the second half.
He Said It:
"We were a little bit like somebody who is forced to drive a stick shift but never had a real good lesson," Sendek said of his team's play down the stretch.
• Carrick Felix left the game three different times late in the second half after getting poked in the eye. He had some difficulty with his vision according to Sendek, who then added, "I just spoke with the doctors and he seems to be recovering fine."
• Jahii Carson's five turnovers were his most since conference play began. Last week against the Washington schools, he had a single turnover in 69 minutes of play.
The Sun Devils (18-5, 7-3) host Stanford on Saturday to conclude their homestand against the Bay Area schools.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.