Updated Jan 30, 2013 - 11:45 am
ASU AD: Carrick Felix is a draftable player
Coming off a season in which he averaged 10.5 points and 4 rebounds per game while shooting .421 from the field, the 6-foot-6 swingman was a solid college player but nothing more.
All that's changed.
Felix is averaging 15.1 points and 8.2 rebounds per game, while shooting .535 from the floor and blocking at least one bush league UCLA layup attempt for the surprising Sun Devils, and after winning his third Pac-12 Player of the Week Award, seems like he might have the NBA in his future.
Arizona State Athletic Director Steve Patterson, who used to be a general manager in the NBA, thinks Felix will get a shot.
"The great thing about Carrick is he's got his head screwed on, he works hard every day, he works hard every play, day in and day out in practice," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "He never takes a play off in a game, plays good defense and has shown the capacity for his game to grow considerably."
Patterson said if Felix can stay on his current trajectory there will be a place for him in the NBA, and it's tough to argue. While Felix may not be a first-round selection, players with his size, athletic ability and motor tend to get a look.
Of course, teams never would have been able to see that had Felix not stayed for his senior year.
"I think, unfortunately, everybody focuses on the LeBron Jameses or the Kobe Bryants that are spectacular players that probably don't need four years in college," Patterson said. "But every year, when I was a general manager, you'd sit there and you'd look at the list, and there'd be 200 names on it of guys that are coming out of college.
"Maybe two or three are really ready to go in the pros, and the rest of those guys have given up their college education, given up their chance to grow as players and really eventually put themselves in a position where they could have a career in the NBA, or if not have a far better career outside of basketball doing something else."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.