Updated Jan 16, 2013 - 3:33 pm
Carson excited for first taste of UA rivalry
For most teams, the rivalry game becomes the thought in the back of their mind as it steadily approaches.
ASU freshman guard Jahii Carson has eyed the Sun Devils' game on January 19 before he even stepped on the court at Wells Fargo Arena.
"I'm excited, chomping at the bit," Carson said about his first match-up with Arizona on Saturday. "That's one of the games that you look forward to as a kid growing up wanting to play college basketball is the rival."
Like many college athletic programs, playing the rival becomes the biggest game of the year, and Carson doesn't see it as anything less.
"If you're a guy that wants to go to Duke, you dream about (North) Carolina, Michigan you dream about Michigan State, and Arizona (vs.) Arizona State is one of the games I've been looking forward to since the season started," Carson said.
Carson said his mindset will be key to help the Sun Devils take down the No. 7 team in the country.
"I just got to go in there just thinking it's a regular game," Carson said. "If I think about it in a positive state, just thinking about it as a must-win, and not that it's UA that we're playing against, I think I'll maintain my focus."
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.